- Identify methods for constructing outlines for prewriting and previsualizing your essays.
- Identify the common elements of academic essays, including body paragraphs that deploy topic sentences, reasoning, and evidence.
- Appreciate the value of various drafting strategies used in the writing process.
- Develop introductions and conclusions that create your first and last impression on readers.
- Draft a focused thesis is specific, precise, debatable, demonstrable, assertive, and direct.
- Write an effective conclusion helps your audience understand how your essay has fulfilled the purpose of the writing task.
Chapter 4 is adapted from Chapters 8 and 9 of Writing for Success by University of Minnesota, which is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.